Kennel Attendant/Adoption Counselor
Reports to:Executive Director, Director of Operations, Animal Care Manager, Kennel Manager
Salary: hourly rate TBD based on experience
Hours required: Part Time: Saturday, Sunday, and Monday
- Shelter is operational:
- Sunday-Monday 9:00am-5:00pm
- Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday 9:00am-6:00pm
Perform routine animal care and related duties to resident cats and dogs at SAVE animal shelter. This work involves cleaning, maintaining kennel areas,
and performing related shelter duties. Employees carry out daily assignments; such as speaking with visitors and potential adopters regarding resident
animals and using independent judgment and training to take appropriate actions to deal with standard recurring situations.
Essential Job Functions
- Clean dog kennels, cat cages and performs related housekeeping duties.
- Maintains proper inventory levels of cleaning and other supplies. Informs manager when reordering is necessary.
- Speak to potential adopters about available and suitable pets.
- Perform daily dog walking, training and enrichment to resident dogs as instructed by kennel manager.
- Bathe dogs and cats.
- Assist other staff with laundry duties.
- Perform other related work as required.
Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills
- Knowledge of basic animal husbandry.
- Knowledge of basic methods and procedures of kennel cleaning.
- Ability to deal courteously and effectively with the public.
- Ability to handle animals (cats and dogs) safely and effectively.
- Ability to clean kennels and cages efficiently.
- Ability to work independently.
- Possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Training, Education, Licenses or Certificates
- High School Diploma or GED
- Valid driver's license
One year of related experience preferred, but will train
Physical requirements and work environment
- Frequent bending, reaching, and kneeling.
- Ability to walk or stand for long periods.
- Exposure to disinfectant solutions throughout shelter.
- Subject to animal bites and scratches while handling animals.
- Consistent exposure to animals and animal allergens.
- Potential for exposure to zoonotic diseases and possible hazardous materials.
- Ability to understand English, speak normally and to use normal or aided vision or hearing.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
Work is subject to working on weekends and holidays. Employee will be required to work outside in a variety of weather conditions.
Qualified applicants should submit resume and/or a completed Employment Application [32 KB] to
Please return to this page to see other upcoming job opportunities at SAVE!